Saturday, March 30, 2013

Enmeshment/ Self-Differentiation: A Choice


“We live in a culture where it seems almost natural for work to define our identity.”[1] Consider, on meeting somebody for the first time nine times out of ten one of the very first questions we ask is, “what do you do for a living?”  Then, with answer given, we begin a process of deeper reflection that seeks to identify some of our underlying suppositions regarding this person we have just met.  We can judge their educational level, their societal class, their income level, and so much more.  It seems that you can tell a lot about somebody simply by what they do, at least that is the silent message we send out.  However, what if we’re wrong, what if what we do for a living is not who we really are?  Could there be more to us than just our jobs?  And, if so, if there is more to us than our jobs let on, how do we ever begin to recognize this in each other?  Have you ever found yourself asking these kinds of questions?

For years, I worked as a residential builder, in fact for many of these years I owned my own company.  My entire world revolved around work boots and tattered clothes, the clothes of working class people.  I was good at what I did, and I took a lot of pride in what I did. Yet, I always bristled at the question, “So, what do you do for a living?” You see, for me this was a way to qualify me and who the person asking the silly question thought I was. Yet, despite my personal angst with the question, I always found myself answering the question. Never did I say, “Why do you ask?  I’m not defined by my occupation!”  No, rather I’d answer, “I’m a residential builder.”  You see, I never even let on that I was an independent business owner, nor that my deepest passion was to provide for my family, not even that I was constantly looking for the next movement in the construction industry hoping to be the first one to capitalize on it.  No, I never said any of this because none of this really mattered to the one asking the question. No, rather I became enmeshed in this identity as a residential builder.  In fact, I became so enmeshed that my “social life (became) an appendage of (my) work; (and) the tensions of work stay(ed) with (me) in (my) sleep....”[2] shaping the reality of even my dreams.  Worse yet, when my world began falling apart around me I was the last person to see it.  I was so concerned with the tree right in front of me that I failed to step back and see the entire forest.  Consequently, when the reality of the destruction that took place in my life reached my attention, it was entirely too late for me to do anything about it.
  
So, is there an alternative way to enmeshment?  The answer quite simply is yes.  As leaders, we need to become self-differentiated from our organizations.  Although this is a hard process, self-differentiation begins breaking enmeshment’s bonds and helps one to realize that what they do need not define who they are.  Consider this question, “what waters your soul in the course of your work?”[3] Is there something that, amid the busyness and chaos of your work, you do away from your occupation that feeds you?  Or, to consider it from a slightly nuanced angle, what charges your batteries?  How can you incorporate more time for this in your life?  By forcing yourself to articulate these things, those things that bring you satisfaction away from work, you begin creating a different reality for yourself. This results in a better ability to think and work productively when you are at work. Michaelson states, and I concur, that “all of us need the replenishment of living waters to participate fully in God’s work to heal the world.”[4] So, self-differentiation, although a bit of a confusing term, simply means your ability to see yourself for who you really are.  It’s your ability to recognize the you, the true you that only you see.

Yet, I wonder how many of us don’t really know who we truly are? I wonder how many of us have allowed other’s feelings and thoughts to define us for so long that it is hard to see the real person hidden in the depths of our souls. You see, the work of self-differentiation is extremely hard to do alone.  For those of us who have done it alone, we stand as testimony to this fact.  Here is where a person- typically called a Spiritual Director is most beneficial.  For those of you unfamiliar with a Spiritual director, it this person’s job to “create a safe and welcoming space where (one) can come and share deeply out of (one’s) inner dialogue to know and listen to God.”[5] Further, it is the Spiritual Director’s job to help you by sharing in the journey with you.

So, although this has been a brief encounter with self-differentiation, I hope it has served to begin the conversation of who you truly are.  I hope further that you allow yourself to wrestle a bit with the concept of enmeshment vs. self-differentiation.  At the end of the day, the choice is yours to make.  Will you allow yourself to be blind-sided by the problems you cannot see because of the tree that stands in your path?  Or, will you pull yourself away far enough that you can see the entire forest?  This is exactly what self-differentiation can do for you.

Today, this is my view from the Road Less Traveled


[1] Granberg-Michaelson, Wesley.  Leadership from Inside Out.  New York, NY: The Crossroads Publishing Company, 2004.  Pg 46

[2] Ibid, Pg. 46
[3] Ibid, Pg. 44
[4] Ibid, Pg. 44
[5] Ibid, Pg. 45-46

No comments:

Post a Comment